Sunday, January 13, 2013

Lab #1 - Research

Hello,

The GWU semester is beginning and so is my research. My topic for choreography is visual scores. I am researching means of interpreting various sorts of images that will, in the end, be determined based on audience behavior. This research is part of a larger project I am working on with Mark/Troika Ranch using Kinect cameras to track movement. My part of the research right now is to explore different kinds of imagistic scores that can either be directly linked to specific movement, or improvisationally responded to under strict guidelines.


Title: Animation Improvisation

Resources: Stykz software, Isadora software, laptop, timer, space, self.

Intent: To investigate the use of a visual score that is created out of a database of movement sequences that are randomly selected by the computer.

Description/Instruction: The dancer does exactly what she thinks the stick figure is doing at the exact same time the stick figure is doing it. The dancer has never danced this movement. She is interpreting what she thinks she sees on the spot.

Assessment: As I expected, the more I repeated certain phrases the more specific I could become about what they wanted to be. One thought is to actually take these little animated dances and learn them, choreograph them. Then when the sequences are gong by and are broken up and played back in different time signatures, there might be a more interesting set of movement that happens in response because it is already specified. I think my having not ever tried it made for a kind of sloppy response, which has an interesting quality of its own. I would like to try projecting the figure so that I don’t have to keep my head/eyes focused on the computer. As step one of this investigation, I found this exercise to be informative and successful. (The problem is that I am really out of shape and I launched right into this movement without warming up. Big mistake!)

No comments:

Post a Comment